Nasty Dead Island promo statue "belongs in museum"

36 Responses to “Nasty Dead Island promo statue "belongs in museum"”

• We covered it weeks ago, too! This post links to a clever and entertaining item reminding us why we shouldn’t just forget about this sort of thing after the perfunctory apologies.

1. blueelm says:

I honestly feel like the only person who will be happy to see the zombie trend go away. It’s just one of those cultural zeitgeists that I don’t get. (No I don’t want to argue about it with zombie genre fans who are upset that I don’t like the same things they like). In fact, quite the opposite. Each to their own. It’s just that culture is so freaking obsessed with zombies right now I feel like I have to work to find *other* things.

2. slamorte says:

Finally something that makes the sparking vampire genre seem less sucky.

The zombie genre is now officially dead. It’s passé. Time to move on, developers, producers, and comic artists. Time to move on.

3. len says:

Why you gotta bring anti-squirrel meat bigotry into this?

• dioptase says:

I know several squirrel hunters.  Really nice people.  And a good number of them are skinning and eating squirrels to make ends meet.  Other just like them.  I’ve got all the respect in the world for someone willing to face reality and butcher their own meat (unlike a coward like me who would rather buy it at the store).

And after a couple squirrels chewed a hole in the roof of my house, I’m all for thinning the squirrel population.  Dang fancy rats.

4. Cocomaan says:

Hard to get up in arms about something so stupid, but I guess people will try to be outraged over anything these days.

• Brainspore says:

Hard to get up in arms about something so stupid…

Particularly if your arms have been violently torn from your well-endowed, highly objectified torso.

5. oneswellfoop says:

As someone that spent four years in a quite good art school and had to come up with analysis of work I can say, with some authority, that John Teti is full of shit in his analysis. Tongue in cheek is one thing, wasting the time, breath, and energy required to write what he did is a crime against humanity.

• UnderachievingSheep says:

Both items must be part of “The Forever Alone” line of home decor. Also known as “display when you want to make sure people only visit once”.

6. angusm says:

“squirrel-skinning misogynist” may become my new all-purpose go-to insult.

7. SomeGuyNamedMark says:

People who have this also own Hostel on HD-DVD.

8. Donald Petersen says:

Initially this thing didn’t bother me as much as perhaps it should, but mostly because I used to have a couple of male counterparts packed away in my Halloween trunk, along with the severed heads and limbs I used to employ in my haunt.  But I’m not going to make an argument that it’s not misogynist.  If nothing else, for a corpse that purports to be the remains of the victim of a zombie attack, the head and arms are awfully cleanly missing, leaving behind what would be a conspicuously untouched torso packed with delectable meaty bits, which no ravenous ghoul would pass up.  So the fact that the “sexy bits” are left in an arguably sexy condition, less the “thinking and talking bits” (i.e., the sources of annoyance for your garden-variety woman-hater) which have been removed altogether, demonstrates the mindset behind this deplorable prop.

At least my other torsos, icons of violence and depravity as they were, didn’t apparently carry this whiff of sexist subtext.  And the Union Jack bikini isn’t helping matters.