14 Responses to “HOWTO make a magnetic detachable stapler for center-stapled booklets and the like”

1. retepslluerb says:

Huh. I’d think the better option would be to either pay the printer or copy shop to staple it or to spring for a decent binding machine which even has the bonus of producing something that actually looks okay.

2. glittertrash says:

Somebody seems to have set a small herd of i tags free to breed throughout the mark-up.

3. Tsh0ck says:

I have a long arm stapler that cost me 20euros. It has a guide on it so I can set it up to accurately staple the same distance into the paper each time. It’s going to be harder to get accurate results with this stapler.

4. Cory… i gotta call BS on losing multiple long-reach staplers. I’ve one and am often reminded of it simply because of its footprint. That said, I agree that this is a pretty s’well option for those who rarely need one.

5. Hegelian says:

It is a cool and elegant hack, but I wonder how well the alignment works? The stapler hast to be precisely aligned with the anvil below to staple properly. The distance from the magnets to the anvil seems like it would make precision a bit of a challenge. A less seamless (that is, a hack that is more of a visible change from a regular stapler and less able to convert back to normal use) but more precise hack would be to use the magnets on the anvil to magnetically fix them to magnets on the working end of the stapler.

However you align the magnets, using this device will be slow since you have to pull the stapler appart from the base each time you need to reposition for a staple. Good for one offs and very short runs but for a quantity of zines? It would drive me crazy.

I’ve almost never used my long arm stapler. It’s more like the albatross of office supplies. It is too useless to my everyday life for me to loose. It just sits there, taking up space, mocking me.

6. hadlockk says:

This is why wing nuts were invented.

7. LydiRae says:

I think I’ll do this.

8. MostlyDifferent says:

Never mind a long reach stapler.  Too inaccurate.  Saddle staplers are where it’s at.

Yes, I own one.

9. vonbobo says:

Cool hack

(If magnets weren’t lies spread by God hating scientists)

10. kjh says:

I have a stapler I bought in a stationery store in GuangZhou, China about 13 years ago.  It does centre staples without being taken apart.  I’ve always wondered why you can’t get them in the West.

11. Thorzdad says:

Office staplers of yore used to have a snap-hinge that allowed you to swing the base back out of the way in order to do exactly this sort of saddle-stitching. I wasn’t aware that they no longer had this feature.

12. the kids in comic club and I thank you for this- better than a banana, just look at it!

13. WinstonSmith2012 says:

Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler… they’ve moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were married, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn’t bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler…