Today's post brought some early copies of the UK edition of Homeland, the sequel to my novel Little Brother. Officially, Homeland isn't out in the UK until the 20th of September, but attendees at this weekend's Nine Worlds Geekfest in London will be able to score their own copies. I'm doing a ton of programme items there (including a launch party on Saturday at 1PM!), and if you catch me before or after one, I'll even sign it!
* The Future, Sat, 10AM, Somerset Room, with Charles Stross, Helen Keen and Lilian Edwards
* Launch Party for Cory Doctorow's 'Homeland', with Titan Books, Sat, 13h, Bar
* Debate: is our Future Utopian or Dystopian? SF Authors Decide, Sat, 1345h, George I, with Charles Stross, Tom Hunter, Jaine Fenn and Tricia Sullivan
* Cyberpunk: The Dystopian Prism/Prison, Sat, 17h, Marlborough Room, with Charles Stross, Kieron Gillen, Jan Wagner, Helen Keen, Rafal Praszczalek, Antoni Strzalkowski and Dr. Demis Hassabis
* Teenage Kicks: Writing for Young Adult Audiences, Sat, 2030h, George I, with Amanda Rutter, Liz de Jager, Tom Pollock and Catherine Banner
Nine Worlds Convention, 9–11 August 2013, London, United Kingdom
Install the Emotional Labor extension and it will automatically add social niceties to your outbound mail — phrases like “Hey, Lovely! I’ve been thinking of you.” (via 4 Short Links)
The introduction of “shitgibbon” into America’s political discourse is a teachable moment for English classes studying the evolution of language.
You may know Charlie Brooker only through his amazing Black Mirror programs, but savvy Brookerfen are avid viewers of his Screenwipe/Newswipe shows — acerbic, potty-mouthed media criticism shows that feature talents of Barry Shitpeas and Philomena Cunk, a thick-skulled, oblivious, amazing deadpan comedic persona of Diane Morgan.
Python is immensely popular in the data science world for the same reason it is in most other areas of computing—it has highly readable syntax and is suitable for anything from short scripts to massive web services. One of its most exciting, newest applications, however, is in machine learning. You can dive into this booming […]
Learning new skills is a great way to improve your resume and stand out from other candidates. Especially in a workforce in which many job-seekers have a wide variety of qualifications. With lifetime access to Virtual Training Company, you won’t have to choose a specific focus. You can pick up new expertise whenever you deem it […]
Instead of throwing out all the empties after your next party, why not transform them into some new DIY glassware? Cut back on waste and add some home ambiance with the Kinkajou Bottle Cutter and Candle Making Kit.The Kinkajou is designed as a clamp-on scoring blade to make precise cuts. Just slide a bottle in, tighten […]