Irish journalism's trenchant criticism of govt bailout plans

35 Responses to “Irish journalism's trenchant criticism of govt bailout plans”

Mommy says “both in the north and the republic, your mouth is your ‘gob’ and, if a load of shite constantly emits from it, you are a’gobshite’! If you call someone in the north a ‘gobsite’ you are being very ‘passremarkable’!! NorenIronMan

2. benher says:

I dunno. I think those straight-talkin’ shoot-from-the-hip Irish journalists are onto something.

Joyce would approve

To adapt a line of Max Fischer, “Is that Irish?”

Actually, the South of Ireland left the Commonwealth in 1949, as the 1948 Republic of Ireland Act came into effect in that year.

6. BastardNamban says:

I can’t stop laughing at this headline. It’s the funniest thing I’ve ever seen on the front page of anything.

What the hell is a gobshite? I don’t even care, it’s so brilliant I’m making this my new curse ^_^

North Korea, South Korea, Ireland, England. Meh!

8. Neon Tooth says:

I’ve really been enjoying revisiting all the free market/neoliberal economist articles on the “Celtic Tiger” lately. Google around 2006 for a fun time.

• Anonymous says:

At what stage the world start operating under free-market principals? I must’ve missed that one, either that or you don’t know the meaning of the term.

I think you’ll find that most of Ireland’s current problems (and those of other housing-bubble affected economies) arose from government meddling (mostly via tax-breaks for developers in Ireland), not unrestricted trade.

9. odaiwai says:

Ireland isn’t actually in the Commonwealth. We left when we declared the republic in 1937.

10. briski says:

Ireland haven’t been Commonwealth for quite some time now…

11. Cory Doctorow says:

Thanks folks – you’re right, of course. Is there a technical term that describes the relationship that Ireland has to other English-speaking countries with similar red-top papers, including the UK, Canada and Aus?

• ibbers says:

i’m a 5th generation Australian, but Ireland is still the mother country (not those damn sassenachs).

• ibbers says:

from a historical viewpoint – ex-English colony (in the sense that it was the first English colony, a thousand years ago). Depending on your politics, you could also describe it as the first and last English colony (what with Ulster and all).

• Ugly Canuck says:

English, perhaps, but wasn’t that part of France now called ‘Brittany’ itself once a colony of, well, British? Specifically, British from that part of the UK now called “England”?

Although IIRC this settlement of Brittany did take place in the 5th or 6th century AD…perhaps before there was an ‘England’.

So Ulster might not necessarily be the “first” English colony.
        It certainly seems not to be the first British colony, anyhow.

• Ugly Canuck says:

By “Ulster” I meant “Ireland”, of course – I’m ignorant as to the order in which the areas of Ireland first fell to the English.

• odaiwai says:

“English speaking nations plagued by Murdoch Tabloids” springs to mind.

I’d make some comment about Mexico/Canada being in the United States but with 34.7 million people in the US with reported Irish ancestry, according to the 2000 US Census, I really shouldn’t have to

Also, for the foreign readers ”Gobshite” roughly equates to ”Asshole” in US English.

13. michael.belcher says:

Damn, I would have picked this up if I had noticed it last night, and had it framed. While I’m not a huge fan of tabloids, the Star is right on the money with this one.
    The government in power is going to push through a FOUR YEAR BUDGET plan, then get voted out. The minority parties, smartly, are not going to push for an election this month, because they don’t want to be the ones to put the country €300 billion in debt. So, yeah, “Useless Gobshites” the lot of them.

14. seamusmccauley says:

Photo of the same paper in better focus here http://virt.ec/ugs, feel free to copy if helpful.

15. Tom McE says:

I think the term you’re looking for is ‘next to’….

Or, with current news in mind ‘in debted to’….

I suppose you could call is neighbors :)

Daily star is an offshoot glam rag, love child of the daily star (British daily star) and a local editing team who inject a bit of Irish content before regurgitating the same mouth breathing drivel onto the streets.

Love the headline, but the real problem in Ireland is not the brown paper bags of money that go around, it’s the acceptance of the plausibly implausible explainations of the politicians when they are caught; ie Bertie ahern: my landlord loaned me a bag of cash (28k sterling) to do up the house I was living in, no I can’t explain why the bank I lodged it in had only a few thousand sterling deposited the same day, it’s a complete mystery to me that an identical amount inusd was also exchanged on the same day…

It wasn’t just the Star, or the tabloids for that matter. Here’s the lof of them in one pic:

18. Legion971 says:

True for so many countries politicians

19. gobo says:

Is the drunk Father Jack (from Father Ted) writing for them now??

20. IrishPidge says:

There was also this gem for bank bosses a few months ago. It was also front page stuff.

21. ill lich says:

“Mommy, what’s a gobshite?”

Focus, please.

23. Cliph says:

Commonwealth? Good grief.

24. minamisan says:

Now joining Zimbabwe as proud ex-members of the Commonwealth, I believe.

25. RS232 says:

Guardian journalist? Standards are dropping Shirley.