12 Responses to “After nuclear disaster, a harsh winter for Fukushima's abandoned pets (big photo gallery)”

1. MrsBug says:

Good lord, woman, are you trying to break my heart today?!

2. Gloria Ross says:

Thank you for sharing this.

3. awjt says:

All those poor animals.  My heart goes out to them and their owners.  And all the workers who have to make these terrible decisions about their fates.

4. Rtarara says:

Poor babies. I hope that they will be allowed to go i and rescue them. It’s their radiation risk to take and they should at least be able to leave food. I hope many or their owners can find them alive and well in the end. The guilt and heartbreak of leaving a beloved pet to save yourself or your children would be almost unbearable. The people helping save these pets are straight up heros.

5. Dr_Wadd says:

I appreciate that it is just some eye gunk, and it looks less so on my monitor compared to my phone, but when I saw that final photo it looked like a single tear on the dog’s cheek.

6. MrsBug says:

I hope this isn’t inappropriate, but they have a page where you can donate to support them via PayPal: http://bit.ly/wRlDVe. I bitly’d it to shorten it down. I just sent them a small donation.

7. octolover says:

i just emailed a friend of mine who lives in japan and will be visiting next month — he needs to adopt sakura-chan (the siamese mixed gal with the outstretched paw) and sneak her through customs for me.  <3

8. “Families forced to flee”… my family includes my dog and always will. I couldn’t and wouldn’t leave without her.

• benher says:

Always easy to say when it isn’t you. Of course no one was happy about leaving their pets. Some of these pets include cattle, ostriches, and even monkeys. When the military steps in and an emergency evacuation is underway, there sometimes is no choice – besides of course the torrentiel waters, flattened buildings, fires, bustling people, and lest we forget, radiation. At the time (and even now?) no one has/had ANY idea of the scope of the Fukushima disaster.

I’m sure you have all the best intentions and I don’t doubt that you love your pets, as do we all, but I hope you understand that “decisions” by the people of these affected areas to leave pets behind were not in any way made lightly, and many of the owners of these animals may have perished themselves. You can see interviews with folks almost every day on NHK here about this very topic.

It’s the nuance of the word “abandoned” in the summary makes me more uncomfortable than anything.

• I like to think I’d die before abandoning my cats but I’ve, fortunately, never had the chance to see what’d happen.  I did, however, bring my cat with me when I moved from Portland, Oregon to Krakow, Poland ~7 years ago.

9. Dan Hibiki says:

that looks like just a computer model of what it might be not any actual readings.

10. Jenny Bonah says:

But nuclear energy is the future of the planet. So what if we radiate the planet we need to save it from global warming. Eat your plutonium and be happy. Those pets can fry.