25 Responses to “Notably adorable child explains how to bake vegan red velvet cupcakes for Valentines Day”

1. Nylund says:

I like it when kids use the W sound for all their R’s. It’s pretty darn adorable.

2. TheOven says:

An odd choice for vegans. Consider that red food colouring is often made from bugs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochineal

• TheOven says:

Thanks for the update.

Seems to be true, but it’s made mostly of petrolium now, not even coal. (Which apparently was linked to cancer.)

From the Wikipedias: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allura_Red_AC
        Red AC was originally manufactured from coal tar, but is now mostly made from petroleum. Despite the popular misconception, Allura Red AC is not derived from any insect, unlike the food colouring carmine, which is derived from the female cochineal insect.

However it’s still not good for you.
        It is banned in Denmark, Belgium, France and Switzerland, and was also banned in Sweden until the country joined the European Union in 1994.

• Wiki-Truths says:

ugh – Can boing boing please do an article about this? The poison we eat on a daily basis. If it’s on the food shelf it should be safe to eat and we shouldn’t have to be doing mass amounts of research on every ingredient. What is there now for tools on testing foods / water / ourselves? Clearly companies couldn’t give a shit – it’s up to us.

• Boundegar says:

But drinking coal tar is fine, as long as you respect its rights as a fellow-being.

• Alanna says:

Actually, a popular red colourant used these days is made from tomatoes. The petroleum-based dyes are being phased out by a lot of food companies.

• zibuki says:

Woah, not so fast.

It’s all about which brand you use.

Cochineal IS still used, and Starbucks got into a huge PR disaster last year when it switched to using it in an effort to be more “green”, no pun intended, then had to switch yet again:

Starbucks Ditches Bug-Based Red Dye In Strawberry Drink

and Cochineal is still very popular as a food dye:

Cochineal and Starbucks: Actually, this dye is everywhere

Of the red food dyes on the market that are not made from the insects, there are some that are really vegan and are not made from petroleum, again, it’s all about the brand.

• puppethead says:

I’m surprised the recipe didn’t use beet juice, the original red coloring for red velvet cake.

And as a related serious question, what makes “Vegan Cane Sugar” something more than just marketing? Cane sugar is vegetable-based, so as a non-vegan/non-vegetarian I don’t understand. “Organic” I could see, but is labeling a vegetable (sugar is a vegetable, right? Sugar cane certainly must be) vegan something like kosher or halal, a special preparation?

• summer says:

cane sugar is traditionally filtered through a charcoal made from animal bones in order to whiten it. when it is whitened without the use of “bone char” (as the industry calls it), it is vegan. also vegan, beet sugar (which is already white, so does not need whitening), and turbinado sugar or evaporated cane juice, which is not whitened at all.

3. Fef says:

First Hello Kitty in space, now this. Prepare for internet takeover by cute, precocious Rojas kids.

4. robotnik says:

Red velvet? And his name is Rojas? Pretty suspicious…

5. marilove says:

“People who eat too much salt can die, wright?”

6. zuben says:

I welcome our new vegan (and Cajun?) chefs!

7. jac blades says:

so adorable!

8. EvilTerran says:

Huh… I just caught myself checking which of the BBers posted this, with a mind to judging based on their gender whether “I could watch young Petey Rojas all day. What a cute kid.” was a creepy thing for them to be saying.

It’s always disconcerting being confronted by your own prejudices.

Oh well, better make some cakes to cheer myself up, I guess.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Get help.

• EvilTerran says:

Eh, I mostly attribute it to the periodic rounds of pedophile hysteria in the media (the latest — the Jimmy Savile fiasco — being still rumbling along in the background). The way some of the press sell it, it’s like they want you to think that any man expressing any interest in a child is a monster and a pervert. Even though I know full well that they’re doing that on purpose ‘cos it sells papers, I still find it difficult to keep the indoctrination out of my instinctive prejudices. It’s insidious.

Don’t worry about me, I disregard the thought as soon as I become aware of it. It just saddens me that our society pushes such ideas, and bugs me that the scandal-peddlers have “got to me” even though I know what they’re up to.

It’s pedogeddon, I tell you!

9. TheMudshark says:

Pretty cute, but for me the little girl doing the sunflower makeup still rules supreme.