Toddler can't seem to get to sleep, despite it totally being naptime

About this video, the parents say: "We popped open our baby monitor app in time to see what really happens when Jude is 'trying to go to sleep.' Hilarious." (Thanks, Tara McGinley!)

43 Responses to “Toddler can't seem to get to sleep, despite it totally being naptime”

1. kartwaffles says:

Perfect kid logic: but mo-oommm, you said I’m supposed to FALL asleep!

• Combined with the mistaken belief that it is the act of lying down that makes you sleepy. Combined with the common childhood experience of needing to repeat a physical task multiple times in order to figure out how to do it right. Yep, I remember my childhood well enough that I didn’t have any difficulty understanding what was going through the kid’s head.

2. pishabh says:

#firstworldtoddler

3. cellocgw says:

That’s cool.  So long as yr child is happy, and quiet,  and not escaping from the crib,  who cares what he’s doing?  I vaguely remember playing a similar game, while shouting out (quietly) “Help, Babar,  I’m falling!”    Guess I always was strange

4. beforewepost says:

Hm. I wonder about self-induced concussions. if shaking a child can induce one, I don’t see why this activity couldn’t do likewise.

• Tim Drage says:

ffffffffff

• Timothy Tankersley says:

http://www.cracked.com/article_18404_6-shockingly-evil-things-babies-are-capable-of_p2.html Number 3 on the list, babies getting high from self-induced concussion.

• jimh says:

I’m concerned also. But not really.

• charmingquark says:

Well, he’s doing this onto a mattress covered with a pile of blankets.  Usually as a parent of a toddler, the concussion you’re trying to avoid is the one they mean to give you when they suddenly launch themselves backwards headfirst right at your face when you’re holding them.

• TheMudshark says:

It would probably be safer to strap the baby down to the bed.

• Diogenes says:

I don’t like those brain accelerations/decelerations either, but I don’t see any reasonable way to prevent him from doing it.

• Ambiguity says:

Other than, perhaps not using a crib (like co-sleeping with the kid — we raised two kids, never owned a crib).

• Diogenes says:

Agreed. Our two would usually start in their own beds then crawl in with us during the night. Our family nest produced secure confident kids. I’ll bet you found the same.

But I still don’t see how you prevent this kid’s headbanging. I don’t think he’s doing it just because he’s in a crib, I think he’s doing it because it’s fun. Still kind of scares me though. Brain is like jello in a Tupperware container. It can slop around some, and the web of tiny vessels that supply it are not robust. It doesn’t take that much acceleration to start tearing them. That’s what shaken-baby is all about.

I guess the solution is to let him nap when he wants instead of on a schedule that doesn’t match his needs, and put up a swimming pool so he can practice his Supermans without scrambling his little noggin.

Cheers!

5. Anmar Mansur says:

It’s simple, Jude is learning to fly! The Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying. There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

6. Jardine says:

I do that now. Not from a full standing position, but from my knees or from a sitting position. Insomnia sucks.

7. galfridus73 says:

That kid’s pretty big for a crib. Otherwise, this is hilarious. :)

• charmingquark says:

Believe me, if a kid’s not inclined to climb out of it, you want to keep him in the crib as long as possible.  One word: containment.

• Amen.  The second mine could walk she was escaping from the crib.  I switched to the toddler bed just so she wouldn’t have so far to fall.

• IronEdithKidd says:

This.  The only reason we got rid of the crib was because our son was getting too tall.  I didn’t question why it never crossed his mind to make escape attempts.

8. FiftyByFifty says:

My son would do this all the time before bedtime. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KQtMO2UAP5Y

9. Pretty sure this is the trailer for the latest Paranormal Activity movie.

10. SedanChair says:

The next Felix Baumgartner

11. mantooth says:

No way I’m clicking on this.  For all I know the poster watched this with the sound off and the kid dies.

12. Training for his promising career in skateboarding down a flight of stairs.

13. SamSam says:

I’m pleasantly surprised by the lack of concern trolling in this thread.

14. My son did the same thing at about that age, except he would yell out “Fugazi” as he fell.

15. Nash Rambler says:

Future wrestler, right there.

16. grimatongueworm says:

Looks like a new Limbo level.  Just needs more band saw blades.

17. KevinRaposo says:

Seems like he’s practicing for his WWE debut!

18. ChickieD says:

Ha ha ha! There is a great book out there that every parent of a kid this age should own. It won the Newberry Award and it’s called Hush! The artwork is great, and the story revolves around the mom going around to all the animals and telling them to Hush! Baby’s sleeping! Meantime, if you look closely, somewhere in every illustration the baby is crawling around, not in bed at all! Then the final bit shows the mom and all the animals fast asleep. All are asleep except BABY! Who is wide awake. Ah, yes, I remember those days. http://www.amazon.com/Hush-Thai-Lullaby-Minfong-Ho/dp/0531071669/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361900503&sr=1-1&keywords=hush

• “Hush!” was a favorite of both my kids! ( not to mention my wife and I )  We liked it so much that we invariably bought it for other new parents.

• ChickieD says:

I do, too – usually get it when the kids are about 3. I bought it not too long ago for my brother’s oldest kid, and my bro told me he reads it with his voice getting louder and louder as he goes along, because the animals are getting bigger and bigger. I never even grokked that. It’s one of the reasons I love the book though – there is something new to discover with each read, and when your kid is that age where it’s all over and over again, something new each time is a complete and total blessing.

19. Ah, total surveillance, what isn’t it good for?

20. Mark Stephan says:

He’s a diver in training… totally see that in about 0:38

21. simonbarsinister says:

Mine yelled ‘Leeeeeeeeroy Jenkins’

22. Sigmund_Jung says:

Of course he is trying to get some signs of shaken baby syndrome in order to sue them for some money. Cannot trust anyone, can you?

23. bobcorrigan says:

Dear Mom and Dad,

Thank you for putting me in this enclosed space with all the blankets and pillows and cushions.  I appreciate the opportunity to throw myself down – over and over – onto the aforementioned bedding, as it affords me the best possible way to distract myself from the horror that my life will someday become.

Your loving son,

Cletus Spartacus Vile III.