Mark Rayner is running another "Vintage Ads of Fictional Futures" photoshopping contest: "find a vintage ad, and then create a product from a created world — it can be from a book, movie, TV, etc. It doesn't have to be science fiction; you could go with a fantasy world, an alternate reality, whatever. The only proviso is that it has to have been written by someone else, so none of your own bizarre fictional futures."
Here's a great source for raw materials: the LiveJournal Vintage Ads group.
- Vintage Marlboro ads targeted at moms
- Another nice Texas Instruments Photoshop: Elephant and head …
- Vintage ads depicting abused and domesticated women
- Vintage-style ads for Facebook, Skype and YouTube
- Vintage ads from a contrafactual history
- Vintage ads where kids leer demonically at food
- Demon children want you to eat
- Creepy vintage print ads
- Vintage tech commercials
- 101 Classic Computer Ads