Deep question about Public Enemy, from 7-year-old girl

31 Responses to “Deep question about Public Enemy, from 7-year-old girl”

1. roytruax says:

In the early days of Hip Hop, when an artist of interested played any particular venue, certain people of his “fandom” would show up ticket-less. They would gather at the front gate and en masse rush the doors just before show time. Some would get through, some not. This became known as “bum rushing the show”.

2. Navin_Johnson says:

“Night of the Living Baseheads” is also a useful tool to teach your kids the difference between dope and dope.

Here it is….BAM!

3. Pedantic Douchebag says:

It does not mean, as my older brother once told me, that “you get a bunch of hobos to go to a concert with you”. My brother was lying to me.

4. Jon says:

In reference to Public Enemy’s “Yo! Bum Rush the Show”, this means: Honey this is when music changed in a profound way.

5. turnstyle says:

Mommy, What’s A Funkadelic?

• niktemadur says:

Within Funkadelic but more awkwardly – Mommy, what does

“If you will suck my soul,
      I will lick your funky emotions”

mean?

6. politeruin says:

Oh mummy, what’s a sex pistol?

• Wild Rumpus says:

In America, sex is a dirty, filthy thing done by animals, gays, and unmarried people, but pistols are a glorious thing that kill people for freedom.

7. Rev.Veggie.Spam says:

Sometimes when a man and woman love their community very much, they get together and they fight the power. They fight the powers that be…

• Wild Rumpus says:

And now, in 2012, it is perfectly acceptable if a man and man or a woman and woman who love their community very much to get together and FIGHT THE POWER!

8. turnstyle says:

Santa was a hero to most, but he never meant …

9. SedanChair says:

What is black steel, and when is the hour of chaos?

10. Antinous / Moderator says:

If she’s working on bum rush, does that mean that she’s already mastered dine and dash?

11. i wouldn’t mind a font of sasha’s handwriting.

12. Noirling says:

Actually, as far as I understand, and I grew up a minority male, in the hood and I am now over 40, mind you; a bum rush is a pugilistic term. It’s when you and your partners jump somebody and beat they ass. In other words, “they bum rushed Ricky” means: “that collection of lowlives just jumped Ricky and beat him up.” So when Public Enemy, in particular, Flavor Flav, declares that they are going to bum rush the show, it means the crew is about to collectively jump the audience and beat it down … with rap.

13. Mantissa128 says:

This was solved by the internets back in 2000.

“Geez Sasha, I’m your dad, not your Google slave.” “Well daddy, if you wouldn’t PASSWORD PROTECT THE COMPUTER I wouldn’t have to make your life a nightmare!”

• That is a pretty good link, although it almost unforgivably cites Fresh Prince’s Wild Wild West instead of Kool Moe Dee’s. That writer needs to start reading those comics and get it right.

14. Frank Diekman says:

from out of the mouths of babes…

15. pjcamp says:

“The trail started in Montana with a bum with two names rushing away from his lady love.” — Philip Marlowe, 1949

16. I love how she’s written it in pencil and then gone over it with pen. She’s obviously put a lot of thought and effort into this note.

17. Andreas says:

aaaaah, good ol’ times…

18. MrJM says:

“Sorry, honey.  You gotta go for what you know.