Granny explains skinless weiners

22 Responses to “Granny explains skinless weiners”

1. Wayne Dyer says:

I do wonder if with many of these ads they picked an illustration from the stock art book at random after knowing the assignment (here the Skinless brand of wieners) and challenged one another to incorporate it into an ad.

2. Teller says:

Don’t mind Banded or Boxed, but draw the line at Branded.

3. Soren Schonbachler says:

So is this a pro-circumcision ad?

4. Ladyfingers says:

Wieners, not weiners. As in Vienna.

5. heavystarch says:

I will keep the prepuce on my frankfurter thank you very much.  Skintact.

6. malindrome says:

Grandma has apparently used the wieners to create a pentagon-shaped portal, out of which the Outer God Yog-sothoth is emerging.

7. voiceinthedistance says:

Any guesses as to what the delightful side dish might be?  No skin in it either, I hope.

• RJ says:

They look like stuffed bell peppers with shredded cheese on top. I think I see some black olives between the wieners, too.

Because everybody likes wieners and olives, right?

8. rattypilgrim says:

Read the fine print in the ad. It states the wieners contain the anti-Pellagra vitamin. I wikied Pellagra which is an interesting read. It seems Pellagra had become an epidemic in the southern U.S. by 1900 caused by a niacin deficiency and more women than men were effected by it. Icky photos of people suffering from the disease. Check it out.

• pjcamp says:

Now go listen to the Radiolab episode on hookworms.

• bcsizemo says:

Women gave quality protein foods to their children first. Women also would eat after everyone else had a chance to eat.

Psst.  Not my grandmothers.  Her and the kids might have been a bit hungry, but no one except grandfather received special treatment.  If anything my parents usually made it sound like my grandparents ate better then they did.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

‘Children first’ is a very modern concept and by no means ubiquitous.

• rattypilgrim says:

Did I miss the “women gave quality protein foods…..” from the Wiki article? I don’t get the connection. Please feel free to enlighten me. What I thought was interesting is how the native way of preparing corn as opposed to the Euro/American way bypassed the health issues of vitamin/mineral deficiencies.

• bcsizemo says:

No, it was just something that caught my eye in the wiki article.    The preparation aspect is interesting.  It is certainly less labor intensive to eat it “whole” than cook/grind/dry and prepare it.  I wonder if ground corn meal would contain a similar level as whole kernel corn since you didn’t cook it in an alkaline solution first?

• rattypilgrim says:

Yes, I did miss the women ate after the men part. Thanks for pointing it out. I think how corn was prepared is subservient to the fact that corn was the main food staple for Southern Americans at the turn of the 20th century. It seems many lacked fruits and vegetables (note the prisoners who they experimented on and who had a garden only got the disease when they were put on a corn only diet) not to mention meat and fish. People today don’t realize how limited their ancestor’s diets were. People used to get goiters because of iodine deficiencies (fish is the main source)  so it was added to salt. On the bright side, they were a heck of a lot thinner!

• ImmutableMichael says:

That explains a mystery I’d previously been too lazy to ask  Mr Google – now I understand the line in the Tom Lehrer song “I wanna go back to Dixie”, “…where Pellagra makes you scrawny and the honeysuckle clutters up the vine”.

Not so pleased about seeing the photos though, but you did warn.

9. sam1148 says:

It’s difficult to find hot dogs with natural casings today. Most are ‘skinless’ or some synthetic casing in the majority of supermarkets. Boars Head makes a natural casing product but it’s rather expensive and often not in the section with ‘hot dog’ but rather in it’s own Boars Head section.

10. unclemike says:

I prefer my wieners with the skin on.

And you can take that however you want to.

11. Deidzoeb says:

Please, wiener fairy, I want to be a real boy!