19 Responses to “BB reader: "Spot where Pink Floyd's 'Wish you Were Here' album cover was shot? I actually *am* here."”

• latelatelateshow says:

MOJO Magazine did a thorough investigation into the “Wish You Were Here” cover art a few months ago, with first hand accounts and stories of the photo shoot. I wanna say the issue came out Feb. of this year

1. Oh yeah? Well here are two friends of mine doing a terrible job re-creating the same album cover!

2. EH says:

Was the wall at the end of the street shooped in, 70s style? Those trees look too big to have been nonexistent then, but maybe 30 years can do that to a plant.

• Xeni Jardin says:

I don’t think so. It’s been 30+ years, and it’s totally plausible that the sort of trees used in landscaping here in Los Angeles would grow to that modest height in <3 decades.

• EH says:

Looks like maybe the trees were in transit anyway!

• marukosu says:

Maybe after the guy finished burning, they traded the hot ashes for trees.

• Donald Petersen says:

Wow, Xeni!  Had I known this picture was going to receive so much attention, I’d have borrowed a better camera, used a longer lens, and tried harder to mimic the original’s framing… now I’m embarrassed I just shot a casual snap with my crappy Android.  Anyway, glad you liked it.

The wall in the background of the album is still there; it’s the side of Building 6, containing Dub Stages 5 and 6, and also the magnificent Eastwood Scoring Stage (named after Clint Something-or-Other).  Here’s a closer shot taken farther down toward the end of Avenue D.  I don’t know when the trees were planted, but they’re part of Steve Ross Plaza, a lushly landscaped walkway honoring the founder of Warner Communications, who died in 1992.  So I imagine the trees are close to twenty years old, but I wasn’t working here when they were planted, so I don’t know.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Some trees grow three to six feet per year.  And that wall appears to have been removed in the intervening decades.

• Donald Petersen says:

Nah, I just used my Android’s camera, which tends toward a pretty short lens.  A longer lens was used for the cover photo.  A real photographer could probably identify it, but I’m just lucky my thumb didn’t show up in the frame.

• Thorzdad says:

I believe the wall in the background of the WYWH shot was torn-down at some point over the intervening years. What you’re seeing the “now” photo is the view past where the old wall once stood.

3. Tchoutoye says:

Who cares about ugly studio lots in Hellholeywood. I’m more interested in where the underwater yoga photo was taken.

• Xeni Jardin says:

There was a thing about that in one of the Pink Floyd documentaries I was watching last night. Short answer: Mono Lake, in California. Took the photographers an incredible amount of time to set up that difficult shot. Yoga model wore a breathing apparatus.

4. Doran says:

You might be surprised how much Burbank has insinuated itself into popular culture.

5. BonzoDog1 says:

I wonder if my Dark Side of the Moon sticker is still where I left it on a toilet seat somewhere in southern Maine?

6. Omega . says:

The high wire act recreation of that pose in the olympic closing ceremony was amazing.