12 Responses to “A Long, Drawn Out Trip: The "lost" animated short that introduced Pink Floyd to Gerald Scarfe”

1. bluest_one says:

>Try asking Disney for permission to use “When You Wish upon a Star” when your film has an extended sequence of Mickey smoking a spliff.

2. beaker says:

Heh.  He sampled the immortal line from Cheech and Chong’s Big Bambu:

“I used to be all messed up on drugs, but now that I’ve found the Lord, I’m all messed up on the Lord.”

3. Thad says:

“Highlights the fact that we don’t own our own culture; it’s merely leased to us under whatever limited rights the High Priests feel like granting us.”

You can own the spliff. Disney owns the mouse.

You just might have the better deal there!

Or look at it this way: if you think that Disney’s creations are your culture, then, somewhere along the line, Disney got to own you.

(Sorry, this was supposed to be a reply to bluest_one, but boingboing’s horrible sign-in system got in the way)

4. gwailo_joe says:

“1973 Dodge Charger, brand new, 2438 the full price…”

This animation is crude, snide, ugly…and the best thing I’ve seen on my computer in half a year.  What an awesome find.

Ahh, America, my native land.  Boisterous, brash and broad shouldered; hypochondriac, hilarious and hypocritical…

Forty years later, everything is different…and nothing’s changed.

One bad-ass time capsule…thanks Xeni!

5. Cashew says:

The only time The Beatles made the cover of Time Magazine was during their “Sgt Pepper” peak. Gerald Scarfe was commissioned to design it.

6. Beanolini says:

If you’re into Scarfe’s work, there are a few books here you might enjoy picking up.

…but you’re unlikely to enjoy this book by his wife.

(your link didn’t work for me, by the way)

7. Dylan Baker says:

The video’s been deleted. Any mirrors of it?

8. paul beard says:

Sorry, “A Long Drawn Out Trip” was deleted at 10:58:02 Mon Aug 13, 2012.
    We have no more information about it on our mainframe or elsewhere.

I haz a disappointed.

9. Pathduck says:

There’s a mirror on youtube, code  a7jNmEaHZ5I
    (not hotlinking in case there’s a lawyerbot on the watch…)