The number of deaths from the Wuhan coronavirus now stands at 630, China state media reports today.
China's Hubei province reports 2,447 new cases of the deadly virus, and 69 new deaths as of Thursday.
Multiple news agencies are now confirming.
Novel coronavirus 2019-nCoV continues to spread throughout the world.
Read the rest
Shares of Tesla Motors were down 19% on Wednesday after a senior executive with the electric vehicle company warned of delivery delays for Model 3 cars made at its Shanghai plant, because of the ever-worsening coronavirus outbreak in China. Read the rest
More Americans fleeing the coronavirus outbreak are being evacuated from Wuhan, China, to the U.S. On Wednesday, 2 State Department-chartered jetliners carried an estimated 350 U.S. citizens from Wuhan, China, to a U.S. military base in California. Read the rest
• Coronavirus, which WHO declared a global health emergency, threatens to disrupt Chinese manufacturing
The deadly virus outbreak that began in Wuhan, China continues to spread and claim lives around the world. At this time, still, the vast majority of infected patients and deaths are in mainland China, Hubei province.
The epidemic is also impacting business, finance, and technology production in China.
Apple's iPhone production relies in part on a Foxconn factory that has been shut down by the Chinese government.
If the halt is extended, Reuters reports today, this could impact iPhone production, availability, and sales. Read the rest
Chinese WHO delegate warns of “deliberately creating panic” over Novel coronavirus 2019-nCoV
China’s central bank today announced plans to inject 1.2 trillion yuan worth of liquidity ($174 billion in U.S. dollars) into the financial markets via reverse repo operations on Monday, as stock markets prepare to reopen amid an escalating Wuhan coronavirus outbreak. Read the rest
“Punk,” says a Wuhan hardcore band member, “is a way to help me keep my mind fresh.”
The wonderful Aaron Stewart-Ahn tweeted today, “Something you haven’t been told about Wuhan during this outbreak is that it is China’s punk music capital.”
And he's right. Read the rest
• CDC issues federal quarantine orders for 195 Americans evacuated from China, who are being housed at March Air Reserve Base
• First CDC quarantine in 50 years. Last federal quarantine was issued in the 1960s for smallpox.
• The repatriated individuals will remain quarantined for 14 days, starting from when the flight left China.
FRIDAY, 1PM EASTERN, JAN 31 2020: The United States Centers for Disease Control, under the authority of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, says 195 American citizens are quarantined at a military base after having been evacuated from Wuhan, China, the epicenter of a growing global coronavirus outbreak.
The 195 quarantined persons arrived earlier this week at March Air Reserve Base in California. Read the rest
Around the world, people are buying up face masks in hopes of avoiding the Wuhan coronavirus. But do they work? The answer is complicated. Read on for details from health experts. Read the rest
As we've been blogging here at Boing Boing, the Wuhan coronavirus continues to spread, and airlines have begun suspending flights to and from China, where most confirmed cases are located.
• As of Friday, 11AM Eastern time, the Novel coronavirus 2019-nCoV outbreak has killed more than 200 people and infected an estimated 10,000.
• On Friday, the U.S. issued a travel warning telling Americans to stay out of China.
• The Chinese government replied by calling the U.S. 'mean' for the travel advisory. Read the rest
The World Health Organization (W.H.O.) has declared a global emergency as the so-called Wuhan Coronavirus continues to spread. Read the rest