An unidentified woman flying from Beijing to Melbourne was sleeping on the plane, listening to music on her headphones, when she heard a loud explosion. Then her face began to burn, according to the Australian Transport Safety Bureau.
About two hours into the flight while sleeping, the passenger heard a loud explosion. “As I went to turn around I felt burning on my face,” she said. “I just grabbed my face which caused the headphones to go around my neck.
“I continued to feel burning so I grabbed them off and threw them on the floor. They were sparking and had small amounts of fire.
“As I went to stamp my foot on them the flight attendants were already there with a bucket of water to pour on them. They put them into the bucket at the rear of the plane.” The battery and cover were both melted and stuck to the floor of the aircraft.
The burning headphones – and their toxic fumes and smoke – had passengers coughing throughout the rest of the flight. They left the woman with burns and blisters.
And the cause of the explosion? Batteries of course – nothing new these days. Click here for the full story.