A HAZMAT team evacuated a Rochester, New York high-rise apartment building yesterday after residents complained of burning sensations in their eyes and once the fire department investigated. They found a 55-gallon sealed drum in one of the apartments. Turns out, it contained donated clothes packed for Africa. The cause of the tennants' breathing difficulties and watery eyes was actually a hot pepper microwaved by one of the building's residents.
"I do not know what kind of pepper it was, but clearly spicy enough to affect the people in the hallway," said fire department lieutenant Dana Cieslinski.
(WHAM) Read the rest
We've heard countless stories about people brewing up meth in Walmart bathrooms, but now police have found a meth lab underneath a Walmart in Amherst, New York! They discovered the underground lab inside a culvert below the store's parking lot and a crew in hazmat gear is now clearing out the tunnel. From WIVB:
“We’ll talk to the proper authorities to figure out what we need to do to make sure that’s not accessible anymore,” said Captain Scott Chamberlin.
He said they did not receive any tips. The culvert was checked during a random preventative patrol.
“Routine patrol, that’s what we do every day,” said Captain Chamberlin.
We asked him if it’s routine to check underground.
He said, “We check in various areas that people who might be up to no good, might be using for no good.”
Members of the NYSP Contaminated Crime Scene Emergency Response Team passed buckets of evidence up from the manhole.
“Spray paint can, some various chemicals, a liquid we believe is methamphetamine,” said Captain Chamberlin.
Read the rest
On March 3, a worker shot this video of him and his co-workers illegally pouring HOCUT 795-B out on the Nevada desert floor, then burning out the residue, at the insistence of their (unnamed) employer. Read the rest