Florida. Apparently, a shopper became irate when a dutiful 7-11 clerk asked she pump, rather than scoop her nacho cheese. It is unclear how quickly the disagreement turned violent, but the cheese was thrown.
Via Raw Story:
Read the rest
At nearly 2 a.m, the 7-Eleven clerk in Melbourne, Florida told Stephanie L. Hicks not to open the nacho cheese dispenser to scoop it out. Rather, she was told a customer must pump the cheese out. Hicks ignored her.
The clerk then refused service based on the actions of the customer, which could compromise health standards. Hicks wasn’t having it and chucked the hot nacho cheese as well as a sandwich at the employee.
The clerk then informed Hicks she was calling the police. However, Hicks’ legal justification was that the customer is always right.
When officers arrived they observed yellow nacho cheese on the clerk’s hands, feet and around the register. They watched the in-store video and Hicks was arrested and charged with battery.
Evidently, many more people eat gas station nachos than I had previously considered possible. A Sacramento, California area botulism outbreak has been traced back to folks who enjoyed the tasty treat at a local refueling station.
Gas station nacho cheese that sickened 10 people and killed one of them was contaminated with botulinum toxin, the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) confirmed Monday.
"The nacho cheese sauce was removed from sale on May 5. (The California Department of Public Health) believes there is no continuing risk to the public," the agency said in a statement.
"While there are still unanswered questions about this outbreak, these tragic illnesses are important reminders to be vigilant about food safety," said CDPH Director Dr. Karen Smith. "As we head into the summer barbecue season, both indoor and outdoor chefs need to be on guard against all foodborne illnesses."
Previously on Boing Boing:
Nacho is the greatest of all orange cheeses
Read the rest